Last weekend my real life sewing buddies came around and assisted with the trouser fitting and tomorrow being a public holiday for us in Australia (Australia Day) I plan on transferring all the adjustments I have made to the muslin to the paper pattern and making up a new muslin which I will share with you soon.
In the meantime, I have completed a UFO that has been sitting in a drawer for the last 2 summers, a cute summer skirt.
This fabric was given to me by DS and it was a border piece across the width of the fabric.
To make the skirt:
- I pinned the fabric on Isabel (my fitting double) to get the hip size
- Cut the fabric with a 1.5cm seam allowance to create a centre back seam where I put in an invisible zip (one of the back seams is the selvedge edge).
- I then put it back on Isabel and pinned out side darts to make the side seams which are 27cm or 11 inches long
- Once I had sewn these in place I then added front and back waist darts so the waist would be snug.
This where it became a UFO, this was the first time that I had sewn with a stretch woven, so when I tried to do the waist treatment it simply frustrated me to the point that it got put aside.
At Christmas time when DS was visiting I decided it was time to get it back out and finish, as DS kindly reminded me that I have just about every colour in this skirt in a top to wear with it.
I had some poplin in my stash so I cut a facing and attached it the waistband with some twill tape to help it cup the waist, turned the facing over and stitched it all down.
I now have a new skirt to wear on the weekends.