An extra layer

I’ve finished the Jalie Vest and I am rather pleased at how it looks.

I only did the one adjustment for this pattern, and it was to shape the centre back seam to accommodate my round shoulders.  This is not the way that I do my round shoulder adjustment for garments with sleeves, but this worked for this vest.

However after looking at the pictures above and wearing it today, the back neckline might be a bit high.  I will get my sewing buddies to have a look at it when I see them next.

I cut this vest out of the left overs from this skirt and blouse and this dress.

There are a few things that I did with this pattern, that aren’t in the instructions, but then they aren’t in a lot of instructions either.

  1. Pressed all the seams open, using a June Taylor Board which lets me get into all the tight spaces and then pinked all the seams.

  2. Understitched all the seam edges, even understitching the hem seam by hand as I couldn’t get my sewing machine into the small opening in the lining.  

There is also a mistake in the diagram for (step 43) which says, “pin bottom edge of vest and stitch”.  Then the diagram for View C looks like this:

 

But in fact this is what it should look like, you can’t see the armholes or neat topstitched seams, it is all tucked inside.

You then pull it out through the gap in the lining (step 44) and finish off with some handstitching, topstitching, buttonholes and buttons.

Here you can see the lining, it is only on the centre back panel.

This is item 10 for my SWAP, and it is a woman’s prerogative to change her mind, so the 2nd pair of shorts are out and the vest is in.

So I only have to finish the Minoru and a knit top before end of April, Facebook smileys

Plenty of sewing, but

nothing is quite finished.

First up is the Minoru, which is now at the point where the lining needs to be attached to the main fabric, elastic at the waist, hems and a lot of topstitching.

Then there is Jalie 3129 Women’s Vest, View C that I traced off and cut out on Friday which needs some hand sewing, more topstitching, buttonholes and buttons.

I am very happy with both of these garments and will share more details when they are wearable 🙂

AND, my wonderful Easter gifts,

  •  My Mum and Sister visited on Good Friday for a lot of catching up, and
  •  I was 1 of the winners of the five Simplicity/New Look Patterns that Tilly and the Buttons had to give away from the OWOP Challenge. How good is that!

Now to check out the Simplicity website and choose 5 Simplicity/New Look Patterns.