Shorts!

As any reader of this blog will know I have been on the quest for pants that I am happy with the fit for a long, long time.

Well at last I think I am on the right track and made this pair of shorts to see how the fit was so far.

I will share more of the pattern adjustments when I make pants, which I hope will be sometime soon but life is getting in the way of sewing at the moment.

These shorts did start out as the Ellen Woven Shorts by Style Arc but I soon realised that the fabric that I had found in my stash was not going to be drapey enough, so I then changed them to my adjusted pants draft that I made at the Australian Sewing Guild Convention in Melbourne last year.

During this process I also realised these would be for dog walking/working around the yard so the Ellen Woven Shorts pockets were then added.  It looks like I have misaligned one of the pockets as it is pulling/visible at the front leg,

but I’m certain Tomba won’t mind at all.

Here are some very washed out photos of the shorts so you can see the fit better.

I’m pretty sure it is the pocket that is causing the pulling.

My first fabric purchase for the year is 3 metres of brown polyester suiting, as I have decided to take part in the Australian Sewing Guild Pleated Garment Sew-Along I just hope my idea works out!

******************
2019 Stash Out: 3.3 m
2019 Stash In: 3 m

Lemon slub knit top with shirt tail hem

This is another version of KS 3740 in a lemon slub knit that was in the stash.

I would also like to introduce you to Katniss our new family member.  This is why Tomba is in nearly every photo as he is busy trying to find out where she is in the hedge.

Now to change up a plain t-shirt I decided to use the downloaded shirt-tail hem extension from Christine Jonson Patterns that I had downloaded sometime last year that has been sitting in my KS3740 pattern folder waiting for me to remember to use it.

So finally I got to play with it.

My t-shirt length is long meaning I usually cut off around 7cm depending on the fabric drape, so I already had some length built into my pattern to play with.

You make your t-shirt as normal until the side seams, so I used the binder on my Coverstitch for the neckband,

and then used the chain stitch on my Coverstitch to baste the side seams together so I could work out the length of my top and the point I wanted the split to occur.

I then machine stitched my side seams, stopping 6cm from the hem, where I pressed open the seam allowances and then had Mark level the front and back hems.

Once this was done, I pressed the hems and then used the shirt-tail hem extension to draw in the shaped hem with a FriXion pen.

Then with some 6mm Steam A Seam I finger pressed this around right at the outside edge the hem allowance,

and then trimmed the fabric back so I only had a 6mm hem allowance.

which I then carefully removed the backing tape from the Steam A Seam and finger pressed the hem in place

so it was ready to be taken over to the Coverstitch to finish the body and sleeve hems.

Front view minus Katniss

Side view

Back view

This is my 2nd piece for SWAP 2019.

******************
2019 Stash Out: 2.3 m
2019 Stash In: 0 m

Multi muted V8572

I thought this blouse was finished a while ago but it was one of those that wasn’t quite right.

The fabric was in my stash and I can’t remember where I purchased it from but the colours in it means I can wear it with navy, brown and olive skirts.

I ended up doing a burn test to work out what it might be and it is pure polyester although I find it quite comfortable to wear in the heat we have been having recently and it drapes well.

I have:

–  put an invisible zip in the left hand side seam

–  a tiny bias neckband, stitched on by machine and then handstitched in place



I wore it a couple of times and it just didn’t look right and finally realised it was too long, only by 1cm but that perfect length was not there. 

So I took the hem up and I thought I had a new top to wear.  Not so!

On my pattern I had noted to shorten the back darts after seeing the pictures of this top, however I also did the same to the front darts (my blog post did say back only) which was a mistake as the top was falling away from my body, not a look that I like.

The top sat around for a few more weeks before I lengthened the front darts into the hem.  I am glad I persisted in getting this right as it has been a great addition to my wardrobe.

*****************
2019 Stash Out: 1.5 m
2019 Stash In: 0 m