At last they are finished …

Finally, the reveal from our sewing weekend that I hinted at back here. Hemming is one of those jobs that I just can’t get motivated to do.

The top is Kwik.Sew 3740 without the cowl in the chartreuse/grey/ink navy knit fabric. I am really liking this pattern as a basic T-Shirt and the only adjustment I made to this pattern was to raise the neck edge by 5cm (2″) and take it back to the original shoulder seam.

You have already seen this top worn during Self Stitched September here and here.

The pants are V7881 in a navy wool crepe which are fully lined and I finally finished the hems last night as today was forecast for 19 C (66 F) for the 5th day of summer, this is still a bit cool for light summer skirts so I thought I would see how I like the pants.

Pattern adjustments

Front:
– Add 0.5cm to side seam from end of curve back to nothing
– 1cm wedge in centre front taking back to nothing at side seams.
– raised the centre front crotch by 0.5cm

Back:
– reduce the back side leg by 1.5cm
– Deepen the crotch curve
– 0.5cm off inseam to below the notch on the pattern.

These adjustments were made in calico and I felt confident enough to cut out the wool crepe that I had to see how they would make up, also realising that they are very different fabrics which could give me very different results.

Here are the results. As you can see there is a lot of fabric in the front crotch area.

and the back isn’t too bad, they fit very nicely for my sway back and besides that pleat of fabric I think the leg width is too wide for my frame.

I’m still working on the frustrating journey of pants fitting, do I try and get the excess out of these or go back to the drawing board, decisions, decisions.

Now Jeans are another matter …..

Perfect way to spend a weekend …

is with 12 other sewing friends, at the Courtyard Marriott from 8am on Saturday to 5pm on Sunday.

This year was a new venue for us and they did an excellent job fitting us in, but their guarantee that we would all fit in one conference room just wasn’t going to happen, so thankfully they had also assigned us a 2nd conference room to use for fitting etc, so we were able to set up some of the group in there. This meant a lot of crossing the hall to see what each other was doing, getting advice and general chat.

I worked on two projects:

  • Vogue 7881 Claire Shaeffer’s Custom Couture Collection Pant.
    These had been fitted by Angie Zimmerman at the fitting weekend I referred to in a ink blue wool crepe and are fully lined.
  • Kwik.Sew 3740 with a bit of variation in a chartreuse/grey/ink navy knit fabric.

Both of these are up to the finishing stages, the pants only need the button holes, buttons (these hadn’t been purchased) and both the pants and knit top need the hems completed.

Hopefully it won’t be too long before I can show you the finished items as I am rather pleased with how they have turned out.