I’ve finished the Jalie Vest and I am rather pleased at how it looks.
I only did the one adjustment for this pattern, and it was to shape the centre back seam to accommodate my round shoulders. This is not the way that I do my round shoulder adjustment for garments with sleeves, but this worked for this vest.
However after looking at the pictures above and wearing it today, the back neckline might be a bit high. I will get my sewing buddies to have a look at it when I see them next.
There are a few things that I did with this pattern, that aren’t in the instructions, but then they aren’t in a lot of instructions either.
- Pressed all the seams open, using a June Taylor Board which lets me get into all the tight spaces and then pinked all the seams.
- Understitched all the seam edges, even understitching the hem seam by hand as I couldn’t get my sewing machine into the small opening in the lining.
There is also a mistake in the diagram for (step 43) which says, “pin bottom edge of vest and stitch”. Then the diagram for View C looks like this:
But in fact this is what it should look like, you can’t see the armholes or neat topstitched seams, it is all tucked inside.
You then pull it out through the gap in the lining (step 44) and finish off with some handstitching, topstitching, buttonholes and buttons.
Here you can see the lining, it is only on the centre back panel.
This is item 10 for my SWAP, and it is a woman’s prerogative to change her mind, so the 2nd pair of shorts are out and the vest is in.