I’ve got pockets! Make a Garment a Month – August completed!

The track pants I made back in April have been in high rotation with the cold winter mornings we have been experiencing.

It was time to make another pair!

I found this useful tutorial that helped me draft a slanted pocket and then I found this great fat quarter in my stash for the pocket bags as I didn’t want the extra bulk of 3 layers of fleece on my thighs.

To stop the pockets from bagging I used some cotton twill tape along the edge of the pocket when I attached them to the front pant piece.

Are we going for a walk?

Hurry up Mark!

Next time I will make the pocket bag a bit bigger, but at least now I can carry my phone and keys with me when I take Roscoe for his walk.

******************
2014 Stash Out: 26.75 m
2014 Stash In: 45.75 m

Burgundy Track pants

These are the track pants that I took away with me in April.

Now track pants aren’t part of our normal holiday attire, however when DH packed his I asked why and he said to be comfortable whilst visiting his Mum.  Well my track pants are not fit to be seen outside at the moment so this is where I really appreciate my stash.

I had purchased 5 metres of this tracksuit fleece from Standard Knits in April 2012 for the sole purpose of some track suits for dog walking and to wear of an evening when I get home from work when it gets colder.

It was also lucky that I had used Simplicity 3640 (OOP) track suit pattern before for my cargo pants so I knew they fitted as the pattern had already been adjusted.

3 hours later they were finished and packed in our bag.

I am really happy with the fit of these,they are a slim fit which I prefer.

They are high waisted but that suits me fine so no cold air can creep in when I am sitting down.

I also put a piece of fabric in the back waistband for easy identification.

This is not the true colour, the pictures above are.

Now they aren’t perfect for dog walking as there are no pockets so Roscoe now has to carry his own bags, but I plan on making another pair and they will have pockets.

****************** 

2014 Stash Out: 11.75 m
2014 Stash In:  43.75 m

Cargo Pants

I finished the cargo pants two weeks ago, and have only now had the chance to take the photos.

For the workshop, Angie suggested that we use a track suit pattern for our cargo pants and stretch fabric. Now the only tracksuit pattern I had in my stash was Simplicity 3640 (OOP) which I had seen reviewed on Pattern Review and tracked it down as it is a slim fitting track suit pattern which is what I prefer.

So before the workshop I had traced off a copy of the pants and found a blue stretch twill in my stash for the toile.

Angie started the day off explaining all the features of cargo pants, the seaming details, pocket styles, and adjustments that we may want to consider.

First up we had to compare our hip measurement with the finished hip of the pattern and make sure that we had 2.3cm of ease as the minimum and thankfully that worked out to be the size 8 I had traced off.

By the end of the workshop Angie had tweaked my fit and had made the changes to my paper pattern, which were:

  • Extend the centre front by 0.5cm to just where the crotch curve starts.
  • Added a fly extension.
  • Raised the centre front by 0.5cm.
  • Scooped out the back crotch curve 0.5cm
  • Redrew a new waistband due to my sway back
  • Took in the centre back seam.

That night I was very enthusiastic and removed the chain stitch from all the pieces ready to do the adjustments, and this is where is sat until the ASG meeting at Alexandria on 2 July.

I soon realised that I didn’t have enough fabric to cut a new waistband, so I transferred all of the above adjustments to the toile fabric and figured out I would continue with the toile using the waistband/yoke from the original fitting, as I really wanted to see how these were going to turn out.  The waistband/yoke needed a wedge out of the back yoke seam of 1.5cm on the fold and back to nothing at the cut edge, and then I added some elastic in the back yoke to keep it against my waist, needless to say I won’t be wearing my tops tucked in.

The cargo pockets on the legs were traced from a Burda magazine that I had with me and then I have added some Antique Bronze snaps that I purchased in the US to keep the pocket flaps flat.  The patch pockets are the original from the pattern with some top stitching on them.

So here they are,

Front
Back
Cargo pockets

As you can see they still need fine tuning, which Angie has now given me, as a group of us had a “fitting session” at her studio last weekend, so I might try the adjustments on this pair which can be done with some minor frog stitching to the back waistband and crotch depth.

***************

Now I must apologise as there is no photo of the formal outfit, we had a lovely time, so much so that we forgot to take any photos of the evening.