This was the other 2 day workshopI attended at the ASG Convention, the Fractured Knits Cardi and after Suzanne described the workshop on Sunday night I did wonder why I had challenged myself to be arty, when that is so far from my usual style.
The weekend before the Convention I traced off Size S (6) and then did my standard adjustments to this pattern, as it was quite clear to me from the Burda cardigan that they were necessary no matter what pattern I use.
My standard adjustments are:
- Round shoulder
- High round back
- Sway back
- Gaposis on the front neckline
I then pinned together my pattern for Suzanne to do a tissue fit, thankfully the adjustments I had done were correct and we then did:
- 1cm FBA
- Removed 4cm from the length of the sleeve
- Added 1cm to the sleeve from the elbow to the hem as the sleeves are very tight.
|Front – FBA, gaposis and round shoulder|
|Back – Round Shoulder, high round back and sway back|
|Sleeve – 4cm taken off length and width added|
Our requirement list for this workshop asked us to take to Convention:
- Approximately 1-2mts of a two way stretch knit fabric in a base colour that you like.
- A selection of coordinating knit fabric scraps (again two way stretch) from your stash e.g. 60cm will give you a sleeve, 30cm a yoke etc.
Luckily when I was in Puyallup I purchased a bundle of fabrics from Marcy Tilton that all coordinated so I had these as well as some brown Mercury Jersey and this is where the challenge really started for me.
Once Suzanne determined that I was going to have an arty cardigan (instead of classic) she so kindly worked out my fabric placings and suggested a design, which I was very happy with.
At this point, Suzanne suggests you trace off your pattern using your new style lines and we had chosen to add a princess seam to my design so the FBA I did gave me the perfect line to add this once I smoothed out the curve, added seam allowances to each piece, so I have a full set of pattern pieces for this version of Jalie 2566 which I have called “Marcy”.
|Front with princess seam and seam allowances added|
|Back with princess seam and seam allowances added|
I then proceeded to cut out all my fabric pieces which concluded Day 1 and Day 2 was for construction and checking the fit as the day progressed.
Suzanne also very generously provided us as part of the workshop a set of extensive notes as well as patterns for the various collars, pockets and frills that she has used on her own cardigans and it was one of the collars that I used for this cardigan.
Unfortunately I didn’t finish the Cardi at Convention, it still needed the zip, collar and cuffs to be done and this was done during this week and at my ASG Group at The Remnant Warehouse last Saturday.
And finally ….
This was an excellent workshop, I have a cardigan pattern that fits and I am loving my new cardigan.